• Home Programs | Weight Loss

Calorie deficit for Losing Weight : Is it Risky or Safe?

Calorie Deficit is burning more calories than what you have consumed or eating fewer calories than what you have burned - The only way to lose weight or fat; but never start with extreme deficits it will always make you feel hungry.

Calorie Deficit is burning more calories than what you have consumed or eating fewer calories than what you have burned - The only way to lose weight or fat. If you are not losing weight, here are the chances you are not in a calorie deficit. Most of the diets work because of calorie deficit but not because of any specific food item.

A caloric deficit is any shortage in the amount of calories consumed relative to the amount of calories required for maintenance of current body weight. A deficit can be created by reducing input/calories consumed. A deficit can also be created by increasing output without a corresponding increase in input.

Here, we can’t ignore the fact that calories in the foods we eat provide energy in the form of heat so that our bodies can function which states that we need to eat a certain amount of calories just to sustain life. But if we take in too many calories, then we risk gaining weight. Our focus is to maintain weight and that’s why never start with extreme deficits it will always make you feel hungry.

Eating less food and doing countless hours of cardio might help you to lose weight but it will not be long-lasting. Always start with a smaller deficit it makes your diet sustainable and makes you feel better. Make sure your diet has a good amount of protein anywhere between 1G-2G per kg of your current weight. A good protein intake will keep you satiated. Try to eat more whole food. 80% of Calories can come from whole food and the rest 20% from your favorite food items. Junk foods are not satiating so don’t eat more processed food because it will not satisfy your hunger and won’t help you out for calorie deficit.

Counting Calories – How to Calculate?

There are a lot of different ways to figure out your calorie deficit, and some are more accurate than others. There are different ways of calculating calorie needs, the Harris-Benedict Equation, Mifflin-St Jeor Equation, or Katch-McArdle Formula. It is always suggestive to take guidance from your nutritionist to calculate the calorie deficit.

Once you will get the idea and a set target for how much calorie deficit is required you can plan your meal and workout schedule accordingly. Exercise plays an imperative role maintain your calories. Identically if a person does moderate workout 3-4 days a week and can maintain calorie count he can easily meet their target weight.

One can reduce excess weight only through calorie deficit and with regular exercise. Portion control in meal, Protein with every meal, fruits, and veggies to include fiber and intake of 3-4 liter water, and 3-4 days moderate exercise will help to maintain your calorie count. The excess deficit may lead to nausea and that’s why it’s important to calculate it and follow the right schedule and diet plan under the guidance of a nutritionist and a gym trainer.

About The Author

Dr. Mani Manjari

She is Phd. in commerce and an Associate Professor in Management Department. She is having an experience of 13 years in teaching industry. She is a gold medalist in her post gra.... Read More..

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Recent Comments

Leave Comments

Top